Monday, June 23, 2008

Ye of little faith

I was doing some more thinking about the question of absolute faith. I can't get over the fact that we think we can run our lives better than our Creator can. And I'm not pointing the finger at others- I am constantly guilty of this attitude. What gives me the idea that I'll be happier living my life the way I want as opposed to how God wants? I actually doubt that God's way is the best way! He knit me together in my mother's womb-surely He wants only the best for me. But I find that most times what I think is best is far from what He thinks is best, and I'm appalling arrogant enough to choose my way over His. I don't think most people, myself included, quite get how monumentally insulting it is when we follow our will and not His. Would you actually walk up to God and sneer "Excuse me, but I think I know how to run my own life, thank you"? Of course not! But that's essentially what we're doing. I can't even express my own shame that I treat my Lord that way.

And you know what the worst of it is? He doesn't strike me dead! I doubt Him, and He is patient with me. I turn away from Him, and He brings me back. There is a beautiful verse in 2 Timothy that says " If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself." God cannot stop being God. He will ALWAYS be faithful. Why do I doubt that? Yet even one of his disciples doubted. Peter had enough faith to get out of the boat, but once out he focused on the storm instead of Jesus. How many times have I seen only the troubles of life and not the One who controls everything? Why have I taken my eyes off of Him? That's what Jesus asked Peter- "Oh you of little faith! Why did you doubt?"

My prayer is that I will no longer give in to my fear and doubts, that I will keep my eyes on the God of the Universe, who is so much bigger than any of the temporary storms that plague us in this life. I pray also that I will not be foolish enough to think that my will is better than His. I'll end with this verse of hope from Psalm 34:8-

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!"

2 comments:

Jack said...

Very well written! (that goes for all of your posts as well)

Anonymous said...

You never updated this! Liar!